- Complying with Health and Safety Policy and Environment Policy.
- Actively promoting safety awareness and environmental responsibility amongst company and contract personnel.
- Reporting all personal injuries and incidents and assisting with investigations.
- Actively supporting and participate in safety and environmental initiatives.
- Accepting accountability to ensure personal safety and the safety of others whilst protecting the environment.
- Monitor the reporting of workplace incidents and hazards to ensure effective risk mitigation is maintained.
- Undertake workplace inspections and audits to ensure site standards are being adhered to.
- Coordinate incident investigations that occur within area of control.
- Manage the advance of the decline and underground operations
- Establish and manage an underground mining contractor to achieve the schedule and budget objectives of the Project safely and efficiently
- Selection of appropriate infrastructure & ensuring installation meets specifications and standards.
- Manage the underground project coordinating with the operations mining team.
- Maintaining a strong line of communication & reporting on progress to the Project Director.
- Ensure compliance to statutory requirements and integrate applicable industry best practices.
- Ensure maintenance activities and outputs allow for effective utilization of equipment.
- Manage strategic sourcing, tender scoping, contract selection and contract award.
- Meet production and project deadlines.
- Prepare Project Execution Plans and present them to the relevant Stakeholder group.
- Develop the engineering scope of work and work packages.
- Liaise with internal stakeholders and clients to ensure business needs are catered for during the scoping, planning, execution, and close-out of projects.
- Deliver successful project outcomes measured in terms of time, cost, and quality.
- Appoint and supervise external engineers and engineering services as required.
- Manage installation and construction work from time to time and ensure efficient standards of workmanship are maintained.
- Direct and lead consultants, contractors, and suppliers to achieve project deliverables.
- Liaise with regulatory authorities as appropriate.
- Prepare preliminary and definitive capital cost estimates.
- Ensure accurate drawings and other as-constructed information for new installations are internally registered and available.
- Provide contract execution strategies and develop contract documentation including scopes of work, scopes of services, technical specifications, and contract plans commensurate with project needs.
- Prepare weekly reports on all projects and communicate to all relevant stakeholders.
- Design and implement value adding reporting systems.
- Deliver project estimates and budgets to the required degree of accuracy.
- Diligently monitor project costs ensure project capital approval budgets are not exceeded, and report cost trends in a timely manner.
- Perform scope development and rationalization within the economic constraints of project budgets to ensure fitness for purpose.
- Exercise budgetary and variation control to ensure costs are not exceeded without proper authority.
- Ensure all relevant Application for Expenditure (AFE) under area of control are in place and up to date with the correct approvals in place prior to work being undertaken.
- Actively look for opportunities to implement cost savings without effecting safety, schedule, or quality. Technical
- Review underground mining methods and implement optimization programs where appropriate.
- In collaboration with the Project Director identify and define selected underground mining methods and design concepts to be used for life of mine and then ensure these systems and concepts are applied into the project execution activities.
- Manage the operating mine design processes to ensure alignment between the underground mining operations and project strategic objectives.
- Become familiar with and where appropriate apply internal engineering and project management policies, standards, specifications, and templates so that project delivery, engineering and construction are conducted in a consistent manner to the requisite quality.
- Seek resolution on complex technical problems and/or policy matters as required to ensure satisfactory completion of design and construction
- Manage the flow of technical information between engineering disciplines and internal/external stakeholders involved capital projects.
- Actively exchange technical information and learnings within the organization to maintain awareness of internal projects, developments, and trends
- Establish scheduling systems for all activities required to effectively execute the Underground Project.
- Actively manages works under area of control to ensure no impact on the critical path of the schedule.
- Identifies possible upcoming schedule risks within area of control and initiates control measures to mitigate effects on overall project schedule.
- Actively looks for opportunities to accelerate works to provide schedule opportunities in area of control.
Risk: Prepare and maintain an active register identifying all risks and opportunities on the project.
- Ensure all activities within area of control are completed to the specifications nominated for the works being undertaken.
- Ensure all works under area of control are completed to a standard that is fit for purpose and meets the end usersâ requirements.
People and performance management
- Mentoring coaching engineers how to design and plan an underground development.
- Establish and maintain a productive project culture through effective people management and team building.
- Monitor subordinates in their performance and direct their activities as necessary to ensure project requirements are achieved.
- Communicate regularly with all staff to ensure that goals and priorities are clearly understood and to promote a harmonious working environment.
Our Strategic Objectives
1. Injury free, healthy work environments without fatalities. 2. Recognized for responsible environmental management. 3. Demonstrated and positive social responsibilities with communities. 4. Established positive government relationships that enable company activities. 5. Realize the potential of our people to build a high-performance organization. 6. Maximize the value from our mineral resources, plant, and equipment. 7. Value enhancement through cost management and continuous improvement processes. 8. Ensure a pipeline of quality projects to deliver growth in shareholder returns.
Key Working Relations: Project Director Underground:
- Regular Reporting relationship.
- Development of key performance indicators and deliverables.
- Monitoring progress.
Direct Reports: Planning Superintendent, Geology Superintendent, Snr Geotechnical Engineer, Senior Surveyor, Training/ERT Co-Ordinator
- Ability to manage dispute resolution and issues effecting project delivery.
- Strong results orientation and ability to consistently deliver against the plan. People Skills:
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative working style, building strong internal and external relationships.
- A hands-on approach to the management of staff, contractors, and projects.
- Ability to work harmoniously in cross cultural environments.
- Ability to engage external consultants and contractors.
- Excellent planning, organizing and prioritization capabilities.
- A motivated self-starter who can operate autonomously and is a natural leader.
- A high degree of computer literacy is required, with effective skills in MS products desired.
- Ability to interpret and disseminate technical information between internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge and experience with underground project development and controls. Experience:
- 10+ yearsâ relevant experience of which 5+ years would have been in a senior role in underground development and/or start up projects.
- Experienced with both start-up projects and operating environments.
- Experience in Risk Management and Risk Mitigation.
- Experience in remote operations/projects in seismically active environments.
- Previous management and supervisory experience is mandatory.
- Experience in project management from inception through to close-out.
Education, Qualifications, Tickets, Licenses:
- Degree in Engineering or related discipline (e.g. Mining/Civil, Mechanical, Electrical).
- Recognized formal project management qualifications will be highly regarded.
- Mine Managerâs certificate of competency or equivalent would be desirable.