Our client, a leading producer of Gold with operations, projects, and exploration activities globally is seeking a Manager Exploration for their North American region. This role is responsible for implementing a 1-2 year exploration strategy within North America to discover new economic gold deposits in support of the global strategy for the companyâs Growth and Exploration division. The position is based in Denver (or Reno) and reports to the VP Generative Exploration, has 6 direct reports and involves management of a team of 20-40 contractors and budgets in the order of $10-12m. Sustainable discovery is a key component of the role and it involves cross-collaboration with a team of external and internal stakeholders.
- Manages and balances resources in a discrete unit, department, or geography within the constraints of annual planning and budgetary cycle.
- Generates innovative solutions to continuously improve the performance of existing assets, products, services, or processes.
- Makes decisions based on an analysis of patterns and trends in existing products, processes, or systems across a variety of situations and identifies future outcomes and corrective actions over the next planning cycle.
- Displays analytical and innovative thinking resulting in continuous improvement/ and adding value.
- Probes to get beyond the surface of a problem to properly understand the causes.
- Easily explains to others the relationship between complex problems.
- Core geological / exploration skills for the technical assessment and management of exploration projects ranging from grassroots through advanced projects and feasibility studies.
- Broad based understanding of exploration, mining, metallurgical, environmental, land access, community relations, commercial issues and risk management is required. An ability to recognize key exploration and business risk issues and develop appropriate management strategies to manage these risks is required.
- Demonstrated skills in project/business management.
- Demonstrated managerial leadership skills and experience. Able to engage a diverse and highly skilled workforce to achieve plan and actively support strategy.
- Sensitive to and aware of local/ international indigenous cultures, business cultures and management styles.
- Manages priorities and solves a flow of interrelated problems, using the resources of the team.
- MSc or PhD in Geology
- 10-15 years focused on exploration activities within (Gold) Mining sector
- Demonstrated leadership in HSEC
- Experience in Nevada (strongly preferred)
- Qualified Person or equivalent (preferred)
- International exposure (preferred)
- Natural leader with excellent/open communication skills/style and process driven/consultative approach
- Dynamic, team-player with ability to work in cross-collaborative (international) teams/environments
- Demonstrated experience and strong technical understanding of Exploration Process (Systematic and Target Exploration)
- Experience/working knowledge of entire exploration life-cycle (from early stage exploration to feasibility/economic viability assessment) (strongly preferred)
- Logical, clear approach to managing data, working within systems
- Comprehensive skills and experience to assess exploration information; recognize the economic significance of that data and any deficiencies that may be present, which provide opportunity or risk