Reporting to the mine superintendent the shift supervisor’s role is to optimize safe extraction of ore and waste in the mine operation through the supervision and control of mining department employees and contractors – within the constraints of agreed capital and operating budgets, and the mine plan and scheduling. Also to assist the Mine Superintendent and Operations team to ensure the mine production and operational activities are achieved to plan specifications, by driving ongoing change in levels of safety, productivity, cost and quality to promote continuous improvements.
Safety, Health, Environment and Community
- Promote safe behavior at all times
- Comply with the site’s standards and procedures in SHEC.
- Promote awareness of SHEC practices.
- Demonstrate effective performance in achieving agreed SHEC goals in
support of the department, site and company standards.
- Reporting of all SHEC incidents.
- Demonstrate leadership in SHEC through personal behaviors and conversations
- Provide clear expectations on performance in SHEC through setting objectives and KPIs in SHEC for all our employees and contractors
- Taking an active role to insure that regulatory obligations and standards are met.
People and Organization
- Ensuring ongoing effective people management of staff by setting clear performance objectives, providing regular feedback and development through training of employees
- Take a leading role in the employment and development of contractors and staff
- Ensuring personnel are assisted to achieve their full potential and rewarded accordingly
- Ensuring all employees attend work in an punctual manner and that correct procedures are followed in cases where absences from work may occur
- Attending for work in a fit and punctual manner
- Ensure the mine development and operational activities are achieved to plan specifications
- Ensuring resources are available and utilized in a safe, effective, and efficient manner to achieve budget
- Ensuring costs are controlled to meet budget and where possible reduced to achieve savings
- Actively holds their people accountable and consistently follows progressive disciplinary policies.
- Actively communicates and works with the development team to ensure that targets are met.
- Any other duties as directed by the Mine Superintendent.
Contribute to the efficiency of mining and production activities by:
- Effective co–ordination and supervision of shift mining activities
- Ensuring that team members and/or contractors are performing effectively
- Ensuring all development, production and services activities are efficiently organized and executed
- Effective liaison with mine leadership and technical staff on plans, schedules and work programs
- effective co–ordination of rosters, leave and team labor allocation where applicable
- Ensuring tasks allocated are accurately completed in a time urgent manner
- careful and accurate reporting of information on a daily basis in prescribed format
- Ensuring that equipment is being operated and maintained properly.
- ensuring accurate records kept and correct information transfer between shifts as required
- assisting and coordinating in various mining activities as required
- Ensuring that work place examinations are conducted regularly & efficiently as to identify & reduce hazards.
Contribute to the cost–efficiency of the operation through:
- monitoring and controlling usage of stores items
- minimizing wastage
- ensuring that plant and equipment is operated efficiently and not subjected to damage and abuse
- Being fully productive and ensuring team is fully productive during shifts.
- Presenting and promoting ideas for continuous improvement.
- Minimum high school education or equivalent
- 5 years underground mining experience
- Basic computer skills to include Microsoft Office Excel & Word, SAP
- Tennessee Class C Foreman’s Certificate or equivalent
- Blasting License
- Competent in operation of various underground pieces of mobile equipment to include loader, truck, jumbo, scaler, bolter
- Competent in tasks to include mucking, drilling, blasting.
- Strong Knowledge of MSHA Regulations
Skills & Abilities:
· Good technical knowledge and skills, including an understanding of planning, scheduling and Production concepts, with an ability to coach and foster talent in others
· Strong organizational and conceptual planning and operational skills with ability to communicate with others
· Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills and a “team-oriented” approach to the achievement of tasks
· Proficiency in relevant software, especially RIMS, MS Office, SAP
- Demonstrated high regard for safe working practices, and procedures, with evidence of careful consideration f risk-factors in undertaking any initiative
- Demonstrated encouragement of the save values and behaviors in others
- Proven devotion to results with ability to maintain focus on key areas
- Honesty, integrity and an open approach to interpersonal relations at work
- Proficient in written and verbal communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills including discretion and diplomacy
- Ability to coordinate the delivery of required tonnes
- Project management
- An understanding of the maintenance systems associated with continuous mining process.
- Excellent people management skills
- Team Focused
- Strong leadership skills
- Understanding of and commitment to Occupational Health and Safety principles and Mine Safety & Health regulations.
- Understanding of and commitment to Continuous Improvement principles