Summary – Our client is a world class mining company with operations around the globe. We are helping them to identify a number of Principal Geotechnical Engineer for one of their underground mines in Northern Canada. Reporting to the Manager, Mine Technical Services this person will provide technical leadership of the geotechnical function to develop and provide best practice, timely and insightful geotechnical information for the mine engineering and operations teams to execute.
Using principles of soil mechanics and rock mechanics this person will investigate rock mass conditions in order to predict and monitor the rock mass response to mining for the purposes of excavation design and stability, mining sequence design, ground support design and regulatory compliance.
They will be responsible for, but not limited to the following:
- Carry out all geotechnical engineering tasks and providing technical advice, analyses, designs and plans for mining excavations and monitoring systems to ensure the stability of mining openings through the control and monitoring of the rock mass response due to mining.
- Provide technical support and advice to operations in areas of geotechnical mine design, operational process practices, and the identification of potential risks that may lead to catastrophic or reputational risks;
- Integrate rock mass parameters, modelling and monitoring data to derive key mine design criteria and geotechnical constraints for mine design and operations;
- The design and/or implementation of ground support systems, including QAQC that support and comply with company standards, guidelines and best practice.
- Provide senior technical leadership, coaching and mentoring of geotechnical professionals to develop individual and team capabilities.
- Demonstrate visible leadership and coaching in promoting safe behaviors.
- Provide coverage for the Manager during absences and on-call requirements.
- Degree qualification in geotechnical engineering, specializing in rock mechanics or relevant discipline.
- Technical and operational understanding of underground and/or surface mine design, operating practices.
- A demonstrated and in-depth understanding of rock mechanics and a track record of generating practical and innovative solutions to multi-faceted technical challenges.
- Demonstrated well developed leadership, technical writing and presentation skills for and communicating geotechnical matters including risks and opportunities.
- Competency in Risk Management and Risk Assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to drive, implement and manage continuous improvement processes.
- Capability to provide technical leadership and draw functions together to ensure best outcome delivery of information to the operational and management teams.
- Demonstrate high levels of initiative and the ability to constructively challenge.
- Northern Canada mining experience preferred.
- Eligibility for membership in Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.