Tips & Ideas for Job Seekers
Recently upon preparing for our Fall Conference season, I began developing a mass email and list of recipients. During this process I became aware of (ok lets call it sensitive to) the vast array of wild and crazy email addresses people choose to use ‘professionally’ … my new heightened awareness got me thinking about what other areas job seekers or professionals in the mining industry should consider when putting themselves out there.
- Have a professional/basic/generic/non-work related email address/phone number/skype that you plan to keep and check regularly
- For email/Skype use something like email@example.com (NOT – Iloverocks@doman.com)
- Sign up for LinkedIn, develop a profile that links to the above email address, phone number
- This helps you to be found – think of it as your virtual resume/business card
- Maintain a resume that is ready to send at a moments notice
- You never know when an opportunity will come up -best to be prepared. You can always add a cover letter and/or customize the resume for the opportunity later.
- Consider printing and using personal business cards
- In a cyclical industry (like Mining), we often find our selves between roles, companies, locations
- Your card can be used during networking events/conferences and should have your: stable contact info, degree/specialization, LinkedIn profile – consider it branding
- Follow-up /Use the phone
- Today we have so many ways of ‘connecting’ with others, I cannot emphasize enough how much of a difference it makes after you meet someone to follow up by email, LinkedIn, and by PHONE to say thank you or to continue personalizing the relationship. This will separate you from the crowd – try it!
I have been preaching this to our entry-level and students coming into the industry, however, I believe these ideas are helpful at any level. I am happy to act as a resource or sounding board on any of the above should you wish to discuss how to develop your brand while seeking a new role.
Corporate VP – MRC MiningSearch.com